Friday, October 15, 2010

The Time We Waste

Today I had a doctor's appointment at 9:40 am. I got up at 7:30 (courtesy of the cat deciding I had slept enough). Between then and 9:20 when I left for the appointment, I know I showered and ate, but otherwise I just wasted time... at least in some people's opinion.
I read and played with the cats. To me though, it was a perfect morning... other then being woken up by a paw to the nose.

As we've been cleaning out the house, I see us slowing down. When I drive to work I no longer go over the speed limit. I enjoy my car ride with no radio on and just enjoy the scenery, which is currently different colored leaves and children rushing off to school.

I find myself much calmer when someone pulls out in front of me. Sometimes I even feel sad that they are in such a hurry.

After the doctor's I went to Shopko to pick up the prescription, but first I wandered the store for over a half an hour. When I went up to the counter to pick up the meds, the assistant could not find it. So I waited another 20 minutes in the hope that it would come over the wire (the assistant's words). Finally we called the doctor's office and found out that she had not finished the step that would send it.

I like my doctor because when she's in the room I feel like all her attention is on me. I imagine though, as soon as she steps out of the room her mind is onto the next patient, or a dozen other things.

I would not want to be a doctor, no matter how much money they make.... especially since many owe so much on student loans, large houses and new cars that it could take years before they are out of debt.

Time is money, and as long as I have enough money for the basics, I would rather have more time than money.

No comments:

Post a Comment