Sunday, October 17, 2010

Smaller is better

Another load to the Family Center... I've lost count 7-8? My upstairs closet holds a shoe rack (which I may go through again), 3 rolls of wrapping paper and 3 coats. The closets use to be full.

Pictures to come soon, you would think with a professional photographer in the house there would be more pictures on this site.

On Tuesday our realtor will be coming over to give us some pointers on staging the house, and then we're going to see two houses. Both are only one bedroom and have between 450-680 sq. feet. One is without a garage and one is without a basement.... if we could combine them they might be perfect.
I would like a basement for the litter boxes and I would like a garage because living in Wisconsin means snow, ice and sometimes hail.

I was at Aldi the other day, and a mom in her mid-twenties was in front of me. She had a girl in the car about a year old and the child had a snotty nose that looked as if it hurt and she had been picking at it because it was a bit bloody.

After seeing what the mom had put on the conveyor belt I wanted to take her aside and encourage her to eat better. She had bologna, white bread, granola bars, honey comb cereal, pudding in a cup, and other processed meals.

I know it's difficult to eat well if you don't have a lot of money. But there were no fruits or vegetables. This may have been a mid-week trip to get some things, but I don't think it was.
Instead of white bread, get wheat, or even with all the gluten allergies you may want to look for gluten free alternatives. Everyone knows what's in bologna. You can make chocolate pudding without all the extra preservatives very easily.

I'm not saying she's a bad mom, the chances are that she doesn't know any different because this is what she grew up eating. I would love to see it mandatory in schools for lunches to be 100% healthy, that there are required to graduate classes on diet and fitness (not just gym class where you play kickball), and various money classes.

I know not many people would have said anything to the mom. It's not our place, but maybe it should be. Without knowledge and encouragement how is anyone supposed to grow for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment