Saturday, October 30, 2010

Not so convenient

I don’t hate working at my job, I just find myself wanting to do other things.

I don’t want to check in 50 DVDs from one person, who has the time to watch them all, because I am paying for their benefits. I am angry that they have the free time, while 10 hours of my day is taken away from me.

S. and I have taken the steps to get closer to not having to work a traditional 9 to 5 job. I am not compensated enough for what I have to deal with every day. I know the amount is decent for this area, and more then many people are making, but I know my time is worth more.

I feel as if we’re at a precipice. That one small step can lead us in a radical direction, at least radical to many people in our society. But I want that step to happen now. I feel as if we’ve been working towards it for over ten years.

It may take some more time, but as S. can attest, Patience is not always one of my virtues.

On a completely different tangent... while I was working I heard a four year old ask his mom if he could have an apple. She said that they were out of apples, but he could have a fruit bar.

This made me sad. Instead of stopping by the store and running in to buy him something natural she was going to give him something with artificial ingredients. The child wanted something good for him, and was willing to eat fruit, but was denied.

That sent a very strong message to him, even if his mom did not realize it. Just eat something because it is more convenient. That’s what many people’s lives have become about; convenience.

Since beginning on a more minimalist path I have seen our need for convenient things lessened. We no longer own a microwave, instead heating our food on the stove or in the oven. It may take more time, but it’s time we use to pet the cats or get an extra chapter read.

I am not saying we are saints and are doing everything perfect, just life is about decisions. By paring down our stuff (material items and obligations) we are able to make decisions not based on convenience, but on what is better for us physically and mentally.

1 comment:

  1. You know I love you. At least I hope you know that. You inspire me to clean out my house and get organized. I love reading about all the things you are getting rid of and what's next on the list. However, as a mother of many (and soon to be one more), I cannot see the problem with offering a child a fruit bar. Yes the apple would have been better, but if she didn't have one, she just didn't have one. I'm surprised it was a fruit bar and not a candy bar. I don't have much time. A full time job, a full time wife and mother, and a house to try to stay on top of, I opt for convenience over nuitrition pretty much every day of the week. Now unless this child was obese, or even pudgy, I just can't see the problem with this. Personally, I would have rather had the fruit bar over the apple myself, but I'm not a huge apple fan. Now a banana is another story ; )

    ReplyDelete