Sunday, July 11, 2010

Beans and puppies, hopefully not puppies who eat beans

I went to bed at midnight, to stay up and turn the beans off. I rarely go to bed that late, so when I got up at 10am that was another rarity. I haven't tried the beans yet as they were way too hot, but we're taking them over to my Mom's this afternoon since she's getting a baby. A puppy!

And like all good people do when someone gets/has a baby you should bring gifts, and if you're even nicer you bring over pre-made meals and help with the housework and baby care. Can you feel where this is going? It's all about community.

I sometimes envy families who are close, or just really large families that no matter how hard you try you can't get away from them.
Where something is always going on. Someone is getting married, having a baby, broke their foot, needs help canning some apples.

I like to help people but most of the time I don't take the credit. I pick raspberries and make S. take them to the neighbor. I read the paper and make S. take it over to the neighbor. I remember s birthday, but I make S. call.
If I had a bigger family I wouldn't feel so intrusive delivering the berries, paper or making a telephone call.

We do have some friends in the area that I do nice things for, but with our society always on the go or so entranced with technology you don't see people every night sitting on the porch, drinking ice tea, and sharing ways to improve the world.

Sure we have the internet where you can talk to anyone in the world at anytime, but it will never be the same.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, let's try this comment again. Take two:

    That paints a lovely picture and it would be awesome if that's the way things were. I'm on baby #4 and I've never had a meal or housecleaning after a baby was born. Either would be awesome though. I don't think people roll that way anymore. It's a shame.

    I hope my kids have different adulthoods than I'm having so far. I'm the outsider and have been for awhile. I'm not sure if it's because I live so far away or really what the problem is. I guess after this long I've grown to accept it, but there are still times when it upsets me and I get bummed out. I try not to think too much about it and just live my life my way. I'm happy where I am, but unfortunately I don't think my happiness matters all that much to the people who it should matter to the most.

    ReplyDelete