Sunday, January 16, 2011

Do You Believe in Magic?

I’ve always believed in magic. Recently I’ve also begun to believe in balance.

As a child I loved to read fairy tales with witches who stuffed annoying, thieving children into cages. Sirens that lived in the oceans and pulled men into their watery graves. Men who tried to save the sleeping damsel only to have their eyes poked out by thorns.

Did this make me a dark person. Sure, at times. But as with everything that is good and right and proper, it’s all about balance.

While I read tales about wicked creatures, I also read light, fluffy stories. A boy named Kim who tried to find good homes for kittens. A parrot that woke up his caregiver early on a Saturday, which made the man angry but he forgave the parrot when they helped stop a fire.

I loved to sit in the sun under a big tree (that we had buried beloved pets under) and read or play with my Strawberry Shortcake dolls (and not the anorexic ones they sell today).

Balance and magic go hand in hand. White or black magic. White and black sides of the ying-yang. If you want to receive something from magic, you must give something back. It’s about give and take.

But with anything it’s always better to give than to take. Some call it the Three Fold Law, others call it Karma. What you give comes back to you three times it’s strength. It may take awhile, but it will happen.

So what do I have to give? I have words. Words of encouragement. Stories to share. Thoughts and opinions you may or may not agree with, but hopefully they make you think, and most of all question.

Are all aspects of your life in balance? What do you really want to be doing with your life? What’s really stopping you from doing what you daydream about?

S. and I are getting closer to our perfect balance. Soon we will be putting the house up for sale. Taking a step can be scary, but it's also exhilarating.

So the question for today: What have you done that's exhilarating?

2 comments:

  1. Kim~ you are a beautiful writer and very inspirational. I especially enjoyed your posts on organization; I'm of the same mind-set. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete